Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

HBsAg positive in the report. What does it mean?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
hi i'm 32 year old and my lab came back positive for HbsAg, but everything else like HbsA is nonreactive or negative. I've been tested twice in the past two years, 2010 and recenly January 2012 and with the same result. What does it mean for me, thank you!
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

-Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) seropositivity indicates the presence of hepatitis B viral (HBV) infection. It indicates either an acute or chronic infection. You say that you were positive 2 years ago, it means you have chronic infection of HBV.

-Though upto to 97% of healthy adults with acute HBV clear the infection, HBsAg seroconversion in chronically infected patients is a relatively uncommon event - with an incidence of only 0.8%-2% per annum.

- Hepatitis B virus primarily interferes with the functions of the liver by replicating in liver cells. It might at later stage lead to cirrhosis of liver and hepatocellular carcinoma if untreated.

- Transmission of hepatitis B virus results from exposure to infectious blood or body fluids containing blood. Possible forms of transmission include sexual contact, blood transfusions, re-use of contaminated needles & syringes.

I request you to please visit a physician for evaluation. You may need few relevant tests and treatment of your condition is entailed. Kindly do not ignore or neglect this infection.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any additional concerns, feel free to post your response; I will be available to address them. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: HBsAg positive in the report. What does it mean? 3 hours later
but why is everything else negative, why dont I have any antibody to it.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
I understand your concern.

In chronic hepatitis B ( a condition when the HBs antigen remains positive for more than 6 months), the anti-HBs antibodies (antibodies to the surface antigen of hepatitis B virus) become undetectable or detectable at low levels and anti-HBc antibodies ( antibodies to the core antigen of hepatitis B virus) appear instead.

Given the fact that you are positive for HBs Ag and negative for Anti-Hbs Antibodies, two possibilities arise:
a.     Chronic hepatitis B with low infectivity or high infectivity. The infectivity would depend on the presence or absence of HBe antigen. If this antigen is present, the person is considered to be highly infectious to others as it indicates that the virus is actively multiplying in your body.
b.     HBe negative hepatitis B ( which is caused by a mutant form of the virus)

As I believe that more information can help a physician help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a.     Has an HBe Antigen and Anti-HBe antibody level been done for you? If yes, can you please share the reports?
b.     Has an anti-HBc antibody level (antibodies to the core antigen of hepatitis B virus) [ Particularly the IgG level) been done for you? If yes, can you please send us the reports?

You can upload the reports using the “Upload your reports” section on the right.

Additionally, I would suggest the following:
a.     Abstain from alcohol as it can damage your liver, which is also the main target for hepatitis B virus
b.     Eat a healthy and balanced diet and exercise regularly
c.     Use a barrier method like a condom during sexual intercourse to avoid transmission.
d.     Since you have remained HBsAg positive, HBeAg should be checked every year. This latter test will demonstrate in most cases if the virus is actively replicating. A person who is HBeAg positive (+) or has an aspartate aminotransferase level (AST level) >200 should consult a gastroenterologist/hepatologist for evaluation of need for liver biopsy and anti-viral treatment.
e.     You can find a gastroenterologist near you by calling the American Liver Foundation at 800-223-0179

I suggest that you consult your physician and a get a detailed evaluation done.

Awaiting your reply
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor