Greetings. Can Bradykensia both feet/legs with Parkinson's cause one to

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Sun, 30 Dec 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Greetings. Can Bradykensia both feet/legs with Parkinson's cause one to fall forward on both knees even with walker?
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 0 minute later
Greetings. Can Bradykensia both feet/legs with Parkinson's cause one to fall forward on both knees even with walker?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes...

Detailed Answer:

Yes, but it's difficult to assume the fall was only due to bradykinesia. There could be other factors also involved including postural instability and weakness.

In this circumstance, I will agree with your doctor. It is important that all other factors/causes should be ruled out. Thus MRI scans of the brain and neck.

Hope this answered your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by Dr. Prasad 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Yes...

Detailed Answer:

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 31 hours later
MRI of brain and neck normal, Bradykenisis of right leg seems to be recent. EMG scheduled. Weakness in upper and lower body. Any other thoughts?
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 0 minute later
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few causes...

Detailed Answer:

Parkinson's disease also causes postural instability along with bradykinesia, tremors and rigidity. Postural instability is the most common reason for falls in such patients. Besides parkinson's it was important to rule out minor stroke (TIA) - posterior circulation insuffiency as well as cervical spine problems. MRI brain and neck to large extent has been able to rule both these condition.

In addition to these, the next common cause for falls is vestibular (inner ear) problems. And sometimes falls may be due to irregular heart rate (arrhythmia). We can also add blood pressure and metabolic changes as causes for fall.

Since there are many conditions responsible, a detailed clinical examination becomes more important. You may discuss about the aforementioned conditions during the next follow up.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
A few causes...

Detailed Answer: