Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Got poked by cactus. Face is swollen around eye. Took benadryl and applied ant histamine. What to do?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6506 Questions
got poked by a catus while cutting it down and now my husbands face is swollen around the left eye, took benadryl and iced it and put ant histamine cream on it .. seems helpful . any other suggestions ??
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Look for any cactus spines and remove that Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. You have taken the right steps in treating the cactus wound on your husband. I would like to add just a few suggestions to what you have already done. Remove any visible spines from the skin. This should be done very slowly and care must be taken not to get close to the eyes. Also apply a small piece of duct tape over the skin where the cactus has poked and be careful not to put it over the eyes, subsequently remove the tape very gently. This will remove any small spines. If there is any small XXXXXXX which is bleeding, allow a few drops to come out and this will reduce the chances of infection. If you are unable at trying to get spines out or unsure about spines remaining in the wound area, please consult your doctor who will do it for you. Application of ice pack and antihistamine cream with intake of Benadryl seems fine. Hope our query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor