Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Got head injury. Started behaving abnormally. Could it be some kind of brain disorder?

Aug 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 362 Questions
hi my name is XXXXXXX i have a younger brother who got hit in the head by a metal pipe when he was 5 years olf. they never took exrays or mri. when he became a teenager he started to change so much.. he became belligerant and nasty and snaps at everyone for no reason. he got married 2 years ago and he is constantly saying mean and nasty things to his wife, gets mad at her for every little things, then he texts my mom and my sister calling his wife all kinds of names. we dont know wat to do. i was wondering if maybe he could have some kind of brain disorder. we are all so worried abt him. he is now 35 years old. thank you. XXXXXXX
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later

Sorry to hear about your brother. This kind of behaviour does not come as a first symptom from brain damage. He would have suffered from seizure disorder in case of XXXXXXX damage in first place. It seems to be behavioural problem. He certainly needs to talk to a psychologist and a Psychiatrist to understand why his attitude towards people is so bad. You should not wait for this as his continued behaviour like this can pose hazard to his wife and if at all she gets pregnant then to their kid also. Psychiatric behavioural changes are mainly due to some chemical changes in the brain and secondary to organic damage to brain tissue.
Here it seems to be of primary cause. He would do good with medications from the psychiatry doctor if talking to Psychologist does not help. Sometimes talking to psychologist itself will bring out the inner him infront of himself and he would realize the issue himself. But do not hesitate if he's given medications for this as it is always better.
I hope this helps. Contact me for any further query. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Critical Care

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor