Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

181 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Got head injury. Noticed tender and hard lump. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Raju A.T

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 3775 Questions

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries
Question: A trunk fell onto my head about two months ago. It hit me about hairline on my upper forehead. I was a bit daze but alright. Months later i still have a hard lump which is very tender when I press on it. I am a fermale, 56 years old, 5'2" and weigh 107 lbs
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Head-injuries like one you had usually leave a swelling in the scalp due to collection of the blood (Hematoma) in the scalp. This swelling gets resolved in not more than 3 to 4 days and does not present with any complications. Rarely when there is a fracture in the underlying bone, upon healing one can have a bony growth at the affected area.

Both these conditions are harmless and does not cause any serious trouble in future. Therefore it doesn't warrant any medical attention.

I suggest you to get examined by your treating doctor and get an X-ray done to rule out fracture / healed fracture.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Birth trauma

doctor1 MD

12 years male Pt with c/o Both Eye Divergent Squint since 1 month (according to treating doctor) with Eye strain & headache while reading & working on computer. he has been treated with Both Eye Divergent squint Surgery. Need to confirm the cause...

doctor1 MD

Please could you help with a possible explanation for a bruise on the side of a three week old baby s face. He was 5 weeks premature and had a traumatic delivery with forceps and was in special care for 2.4 weeks. Upon being discharged from SCBU, he was at home for 5 days when a bruise appeared. Could it be because he is prem? Could it be birth trauma? There is no question of parental neglect but we need to find an explanation. We would be grateful for any help you can give. Thank you.

doctor1 MD

My son is 8, a 25-week premie with CVI and Auditory Neuropathy. Like suffered a stroke during birth trauma , with mild CP. He has always had visible veins on his arms and upper chest, but they have recently become extremely vivid, almost green or...

doctor1 MD

I m a 32 yr old female born with Erbs Palsy in my left shoulder and neck. My left was paralyzed for 6mon at birth. Then my nerves grew back on their own and I m able to use the arm. However I have restrictive use turning my wrist completely over and I can t reach above my head. For the past few months I ve been having spasms throughout my back, pain in the side of my neck and shoulder, my shoulder blade feels like it s pulling away from my spine and I m getting these electric shocks in my chest, back and neck that shoot up into my head. My doctor continues to tell me a lot of this comes from anxiety. I take anxiety meds and pains meds which numb everything, but as soon as they wear off I feel pain again. What should do? I think I need an MRI ASAP but who knows what my dr will recommend.

doctor1 MD

Dear legendary doctors,my son has ERB"S PALSY DURING BIRTH,and is not moving his left hand right from the shoulders ,however he is moving his wrist,and his fingers and is able to hold my fingers with his left hand Please let me know ,any one ,will my son ever lift his hand in the near future.thanks

doctor1 MD

My 6 year old has nystagmus in both eyes and congenital optic atrophy and CSNB. Could trama through giving birth cause this?