Owl Image

Got head injury. Noticed tender and hard lump. What should I do?

Question
A trunk fell onto my head about two months ago. It hit me about hairline on my upper forehead. I was a bit daze but alright. Months later i still have a hard lump which is very tender when I press on it. I am a fermale, 56 years old, 5'2" and weigh 107 lbs
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Head-injuries like one you had usually leave a swelling in the scalp due to collection of the blood (Hematoma) in the scalp. This swelling gets resolved in not more than 3 to 4 days and does not present with any complications. Rarely when there is a fracture in the underlying bone, upon healing one can have a bony growth at the affected area.

Both these conditions are harmless and does not cause any serious trouble in future. Therefore it doesn't warrant any medical attention.

I suggest you to get examined by your treating doctor and get an X-ray done to rule out fracture / healed fracture.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.