• question-icon

Suggest treatment for headache, eye strain and exotropia

Posted on Sat, 24 Dec 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: 12 years male Pt with c/o Both Eye Divergent Squint since 1 month (according to treating doctor) with Eye strain & headache while reading & working on computer. he has been treated with Both Eye Divergent squint Surgery. Need to confirm the cause of present ailment and whether the surgery is cosmetic or Functional surgery.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
DIVERGENT SQUINT IN BOTH EYE. DIFFICULT TO TREAT. IT CAN BE INTERMITTENT

Detailed Answer:
It is exotropia or divergent squint. in small number of cases it is hereditary. since both eye are projecting in different direction it may have been intermittent or constant squint. eye strain with long duration computer exposure or near work can facilitate such problem but in this case amblyopia in one eye is definite. other wise there will be diplopia. first refraction is to be done and the eye with better vision can be allowed for projection the other eye can be patched. if after surgery the eye can be used for better vision the it is useful or it will be cosmatic.In such cases failure of surgery can be having high probability.Cause can be hereditary or birth trauma. avoid using computer for long time. avoid prolonged near work.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist