Got first degree burn with no pain or swelling. Using neosporin on it. Any suggestion?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I received a small size burn from a Tens unit. There are about 4 dark discolored spots. Three of them are tiny about 1-2 mm. The third is several millimeters (about the diameter of a pea). I saw it immediately after I took the pad off. There is no pain or swelling anywhere on or outside of them The bigger one looks like it is probably more than a first degree burn but it is still pretty small. To treat it so far, I immediately ran cold water on it and put on some neosporin and covered it with a bandage. I would prefer not to go to the doctor if there is nothing additional they could do for me. Plus it is in an embarassing spot. I am a healthy person with no underlying physical disorders. What do you recommend?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 47 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Generally with such small areas of burning there is nothing more you or doctors can do. Only with large areas of burned skin sometimes skin transplants are necessary but for sure not with small onces. So you do not have to do anything with it right now. Even bandage is not advisable as it will make the healing process longer. The best for such burns will be Sulfathiazole Silver cream.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Thanks Dr. Stanko. I was a little anxious since even though it was fairly small I knew it looked like a higher degree burn. Sounds like the best thing to do is use the cream you recommended and just let it heal. Can I buy this over the counter at the pharmacy? How long should it take approximately to heal and what trigger point should cause me to see the doctor?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Hello!

It should be available without prescription (Certain brand names, such as Silvadene, are still listed as prescription only by the FDA, however SilvaSorb should be available OTC). This cream is not extremely necessary for healing, it just can help with it. You can also just wash it with water and soap (sound primitive but works perfectly). Healing process should take about 2 weeks. If any pus appear, dark color tissues (necrotic), fever etc you should contact your doctor.

Regards.