Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Got cut on pubic area and developed excess skin growth. Is this cancerous?

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 16041 Questions

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi, doctor,
i really need your help as i am quite worried, what happen was that about a year ago, i was shaving my pubic area and received a slight cut around my pubic hair area and over time till now i have develop excess skin growing around that area. It is quite an unsightly sight, i would like to know is it XXXXXXX or maybe cancerous? and can i remove it via a small surgery operation? and weather there is any other possibilities to remove it by not doing a minor operation on it. i really am wooried and need your advise, pls help me with a solution Doctor XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

In some persons during the healing process, excess skin can develop in the area where the injury was located.It is called hypertropic (excess) scarring.
Some persons may also have keloids which are also excess skin- the differences between the 2 are: keloids may form even in the absence of an injury, they go beyond the margin where the injury occured, keloids can reoccur after removal and they are associated with more discomfort.
Neither of these is cancerous or XXXXXXX and are only removed if they are causing distress or discomfort.

A doctor can determine which is present based on history and examination of the area.
In addition a biopsy may be required to determine exactly which one is present.
Treatment can involve: (1)surgical removal which would be simple one day procedure, that should not require an overnight stay. Depending on the size of the lesion, a general surgeon may be able to perform the procedure in an outpatient setting.
(2) the use of injectable steroids- these are used on a repeated basis by the doctor . This can be done on its own but is normally combined with another form of treatment.
(3) other forms of treatment would be cryotherapy which is the use of intense cold,
laser therapy

You can visit your GP for an evaluation and to determine which treatment it best for you.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Treatment/Therapy ,  

Recent questions on  Laser therapy

doctor1 MD

Hello.. my stomach feels heavy after eating,it gets really big and sometimes makes it hard to breathe,i was told i have abnormal heart beat,which is now heart block,all my ecg are abnormal and no one knows why,in addition i have hip dysplasia,after going for laser therapy,and some injections,the inflammation is less now,i have a swollen lymph exactly where my hip joint is,i don't know why,i have constant vaginal discharges before/after period and sometimes when i am pressed,but gyneacologists said its normal.all these are freaking me out and i don't know what to do..i am 28 years old.Thank you for your time.

doctor1 MD

Hallo doctor, i m 19 years old and i am suffering from a problem of tanning on my face and hands from quite some time, my face and arms are somewhat dull as compared to my hands, so please suggest me is a good treatment available considering this , and also is laser therapy is helpful for the above problem . Thanking you Mannat kamboj Dehradun, INDIA

doctor1 MD

Last year in march some bleeding starts during my stool.I showed to Gen.Physician.He has given me some medicine.It stopped bleeding.Again it happened in may and again I visited the same doctor and taken the same medicine but no relief.It happens on and off.This year in first week of April continuous bleeding starts one-two times a daily.Again I showed to the same doctor.He adviced me for clonscopy test.I have gone for clonoscopy test under gastroentrology department in Maharaja Agresen Hospital,Punjabi Bagh on 30-04-2011 where small Haemorrihods found positve.Doctor said it is small hence no operation required and suggested Dafflon 500 mg for 14 days.I have taken the same tablet.It stopped but again started bleeding.Now I am fed up.I have to commute by metro train and bus dailly for six hour.It is internal pile.Please suggest me what to do.Is laser therapy available in Noida and it is safe or not.Kindly reply at the earliest.

doctor1 MD

I have back pain in my lower back across my buttocks only after walking about 5 to 10 minutes it goes away when I sit down usually only after several minutes then I can walk again for another short time, laying down or siting causes no pain. after...

doctor1 MD

Hi, i am 25 years married Lady. i have PCOD and when the hormone tests where done, I have a high Prolactin level ie; 39.93ng/ml (The Ref. Range is 1 - 30). My Gynecologist prescribed me Cabergoline, 0.5mg once per week for Six weeks. I have started my medicine two days before. following questions are arising in my mind.
1) can i become pregnant?
2) will my irregular cycle become normal?
3) what diet i have to follow?
4) will the hair growth in body get reduced once Prolactine level is normalized?
Hope you can help me.

doctor1 MD

For about 2 weeks, my right shin is sore to touch. Its about a 1-2 inch spot that hurts. It feels like a bruise is there, but there is no visible bruise or swelling there. It does not hurt when I walk, run, exercise, etc. No pain when I bear...

doctor1 MD

I have black spots over my back. is there any treatment?