Got a cut on top of wrist. Skin became thicker and red. What is the problem?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi.. I fell down like three months ago and had a cut on the top of my wrist...it healed but the skin became thicker and red . It looks like it has fluids but if you touch it it is not and when I take a shower it changes to blue, so what could that be ...I. Tried a lot of ointments and gels but they din not work
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
HI XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
Ive gone through history and photo.
The condition your are suffering from is called keloid.
It occur due to excessive scar tissue formation at the time of healing.
It does not respond to topical creams.

Ideal treatment for it would a steroid injection into the swelling.
One injection is usually sufficient.It will slowly dissolve the swelling over 2-3 weeks.
It can be given by your dermatologist or physician.

Hope this helps.
If you have any further queries I will be available for follow up.

DrSudarshan
Dermatologist.

Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 2 days later
Does this injection hurt?? And does it have any side effects? I mean is it popular that people take such injections
I heard also that keloids are usually mistaken with hypertrophic scars, I also read that unlike keloids hypertrophic scars don't grow outside the original cut and this is what happened with me the scar is still the same since three months
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi again,
Injection does not hurt much ,it is mixed with local anesthetic .so there is not much of pain.
It is very common procedure and has no real side effects.
Even if it is a keloid treatment remains the same and injection is treatment of choice.
Hope this helps.
Regards.