Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

138 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Got a cut on top of wrist. Skin became thicker and red. What is the problem?

Answered by
Dr. Sudarshan


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1391 Questions

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi.. I fell down like three months ago and had a cut on the top of my healed but the skin became thicker and red . It looks like it has fluids but if you touch it it is not and when I take a shower it changes to blue, so what could that be ...I. Tried a lot of ointments and gels but they din not work
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Ive gone through history and photo.
The condition your are suffering from is called keloid.
It occur due to excessive scar tissue formation at the time of healing.
It does not respond to topical creams.

Ideal treatment for it would a steroid injection into the swelling.
One injection is usually sufficient.It will slowly dissolve the swelling over 2-3 weeks.
It can be given by your dermatologist or physician.

Hope this helps.
If you have any further queries I will be available for follow up.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 2 days later
Does this injection hurt?? And does it have any side effects? I mean is it popular that people take such injections
I heard also that keloids are usually mistaken with hypertrophic scars, I also read that unlike keloids hypertrophic scars don't grow outside the original cut and this is what happened with me the scar is still the same since three months
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi again,
Injection does not hurt much ,it is mixed with local anesthetic .so there is not much of pain.
It is very common procedure and has no real side effects.
Even if it is a keloid treatment remains the same and injection is treatment of choice.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Local anesthesia

doctor1 MD

I have had pain in my index finger for a month and trouble straightening and bending my finger. There are times that my finger remains in a curled position and is very hard to straighten. Could this be arthritis?

doctor1 MD

I m 58 and had what could be my 1st possible UTI. Well now I m scheduled for a cystoscopy . I ve read the flexible ones are no wider than a pencil and the rigid are bigger. My urethral opening is smaller than a pencil, how are they going to get...

doctor1 MD

Hi .i have very little skin attached to my pennis and i feel pain while having sex, while sexual inter coarse . it also got torn earlier while having anal sex now i feel pain in inserting pennis. How can i remove frenulum or make it elastic at...

doctor1 MD

my wife has fungal infection in both ears. removing the same is causing terrible pain. could you pls suggest whether the fungal infection can be cleared after giving local anesthesia? My other doubt is that whether she need to consult the doctor empty stomach for the above treatment with local anesthesia?

doctor1 MD

My doctor wants to do a skin graft on a wound on the calf of my leg. It is about the size of a quarter. I have a pacemaker for a slow heart rate. He says I have to receive general anesthesia. Can I have a graft done with local anesthesia? I ll be honest, I am very concerned about being put to sleep.

doctor1 MD

My son went to the dentist yesterday to get a cavity filled. They gave a local Anesthesia in his mouth. when he got out the dentist , his started swelling up . I want to know how can we cure this or is it normal for his lip to swell up after anesthesia