Getting redness with mild irritation in eye. How to get cured?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Often one of my eye becomes reddish. also with mild irritation. after few hours it goes away or post splashing the water.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This usually occurs due to exposure to atmospheric pollutents getting into the eye.These are dust and smoke of exhaust of vehicles.Once you wash it away,the allergen load is reduced and you get relief.
What you can do to solve this is to have some protection in the form of protective glasses and medication in the form of astringent drops.
We are not recommending any thing stronger as the problem for you is a fleeting one and usually goes away without too much of botheration.
Any difficulty please do get back to me .

Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 7 minutes later
Thanks for your advise doctor.

But that eye is still little red oneside with mild swelling compared to the other eye.

If its nothing to worry then no problem. Please advise.
Dear XXXXXXX
This is part over all allergy.If sneezing also continues then an oral anti allergic is also welcome.
If there is no generalized allergy,then astringent drops like Mezol etc are able to take care.
Do get back to in case of any problem.