What causes redness in the eye upon waking up?

Posted on Fri, 15 Sep 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have a very red eye upon awakening this morning.It does not hurt.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Conjunctivitis most likely

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.

There are few more details required, is the redness in only one eye or both eyes, was there any discharge or not.

If there was discharge, then it is an infection and will need antibiotic eye drop, otherwise, will respond to astringent eye drops.

Please get back to me with these details so we can offer more useful advice.

Awaiting...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 52 minutes later
Only one eye is red.There was a little discharge from the eye when I first awoke and nothing since then. I saw a reference online to blood thinners which I recently began.How would they affect the eye?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Subconjunctival hemorrhage can be there

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to me.

There is a possibility of hemorrhage then and that will be confirmed looking at a photograph.

These are painless and usually confined to one part of the eye and do not require any treatment and resolve on its own in a week's time.

If you could please send me a photograph of the affected eye with a reasonable resolution, we can confirm the diagnosis. You can simply upload/attach it to the reports section of this web page.

Awaiting...

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist