Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Getting pain in outer ear. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6996 Questions
i feel little sensation in my outer right ear ... there is very little pain which happens for fraction of seconds and goes off... very difficult to explain ... the tendency is only with right ear.
it started like 6 month back ... the frequency was once in blue moon .. but now in winters ... the frequency has increased and time of pain also ... and the area has extended to middle outer portion of ear
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 15 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Pain localized to the outer ear suggests pathology in the outer ear only. The process may be involving the skin, cartilage or the hair present in the ear canal. Furuncolosis which is an inflammation of the hair roots can cause pain. But that pain is continuous and severe. Other entities which can cause pain in the external ear are impacted wax, fungal infection, etc.

Perichondritis- inflammation of the cartilage can also similar cause pain. Do you have any past history of trauma or previous infection?

A clinical examination of external ear and the ear drum is necessary to make a diagnosis. Kindly consult your ENT specialist for a clinical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment.

If you require any further clarification, please let me know. I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting pain in outer ear. How to get relief? 1 hour later
i have no past history for trauma or previous infection.

Also mwant to mention that earlier when tickling happens .. it goes off immediately just byt rubbing the ear.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Tickling sensation indicates some kind of deficiency- vitamin B 12 or doctor for clinical examination before resorting to any medication.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor