Getting black rash after itching. Affecting arms, neck and face. Took antibiotics. Suggestions?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I keep getting a black rash after itching. It affects my arms & recently moved to my face, neck & a little patch on my chest area. I have had many antibiotics but it never seems to go away. It will decrease the intensity for a little while, but that's it. Can you suggest something different? I need help!!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to post inflammatory pigmentation

Detailed Answer:
The darkening of the area after itching is likely to be due to an inflammatory reaction in your skin. It is called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
This can result from a number of conditions including any mechanical stress or mild trauma to the skin.

It is treated by :(1) the use of daily sunscreen (with a sunscreen protection factor of 15 or greater) - to prevent further pigmentation
(2)a variety of topical creams are used including topical steroid creams, hydroquinone and tretinoin cream. Success can be achieved with only one of these agents but in many persons a combination of creams is required
Vitamin A and Vitamin E XXXXXXX foods are advised for more beneficial results. Green leaves, dark colored vegetables XXXXXXX in carotene and other flavenoids are advised at least five times a week.
You may want to consider visiting your doctor to let him or her see the area involved. Most of the creams require a prescription.
Glycolic peel may help in case the pigmentation is persistent.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.