Found stone in gallbladder. Should I go for surgery or will it be treated with medicine?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi, I have got a stone of size 9mm in my Gallbladder. Do i need to undergo surgery for this or it can be treated with medicines.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

A solitary stone of 9mm and that too without any symptoms can be treated conservatively

Though there are no known medicines to dissolve a gall stone, you may avoid surgery unless the gall bladder gets inflammed or in very remote cases if it obstructs the common bile duct, which is very unlikely with this size of stone

You need to avoid fried and fermented meals

And take medicines as per the symptoms

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead