Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Found stone in gallbladder. Should I go for surgery or will it be treated with medicine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 922 Questions
Hi, I have got a stone of size 9mm in my Gallbladder. Do i need to undergo surgery for this or it can be treated with medicines.
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

A solitary stone of 9mm and that too without any symptoms can be treated conservatively

Though there are no known medicines to dissolve a gall stone, you may avoid surgery unless the gall bladder gets inflammed or in very remote cases if it obstructs the common bile duct, which is very unlikely with this size of stone

You need to avoid fried and fermented meals

And take medicines as per the symptoms

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor