Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Found pea size hard lump under eye lid. Underlying cause?

Jun 2015
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 3337 Questions
Hello. Tonight I found a pea size hard lump right below my daughter's eye brow. The exact location is the corner of her left eye under eye lid.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Presence of lump under eye lid can be due to:
1. Stye- acute infection/inflammation of the glands in the eye lashes.
Associated with pain, swelling & watering of eyes.
2. Chalazion- chronic infection/inflammation of the meibomian glands of the eyelids.
Seems to be the probable diagnosis.
It is usually larger in size & not associated with pain.
3. Concretions
4. Meibomian cyst

Management involves:
1. Hot fomentation.
2. Application of topical antibiotic ointment.
3. Smaller lesions can be managed by injection with a corticosteroid.
4. Surgical management- done in case it is not controlled by medications.

So, it will be better to consult an Ophthalmologist & get a proper physical examination done to find out the exact cause.
Based on that, appropriate management steps could be taken.

There is no need to worry, your daughter will be fine.

Wishing her a good health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Found pea size hard lump under eye lid. Underlying cause? 5 minutes later
Thank you. The hard lump is under the skin and not visible. Only can feel when palpate the skin. No sign of infection. It feels like a lymph node would if feeling in neck, groin, etc (but this is in the corner of her eye)....
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 34 hours later

Thanks for your review query.

There are no lymph nodes around the eyes, so the possibility can be ruled out.

As I have already mentioned, this site is suggestive of Chalazion, hence kindly consult an Ophthalmologist for further management.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor