Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Feeling pain and noticed bruise on foot after accident. Any idea what this could be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions

I had an accident two months ago, my foot went through a glass table, resulting in minor cuts and a foot I couldn't walk on for well over a week, my foot is ok i can walk normally now but not completely healed (had X-ray and no breakages) can feel quite stiff and niggly pain at times. Additionally during this accident my other leg suffered bruising all the way down the XXXXXXX as it scraped against the wooden frame of the table, there is a small area on my lower XXXXXXX that hasn't healed it isn't raised just warm to touch and very slight bruising, do you have any idea what this could be? Or what damage has happened ? This leg was put under stress as I couldn't walk on my other foot for over week and I wonder if i did more damage putting all my weight on this leg? I look forward to your answer thank you so much :)
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 5 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms and the kind of injury which you had sustained, it appears that the non-healing area on your lower XXXXXXX could be due to an underlying hematoma (blood clot) which is getting resorbed very slowly. This could account for the pain, bruising and warmth over that area. It is unlikely to be a bony injury, because if otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to bear weight freely on that leg.

It is quite possible that excessive strain on the other leg (due to disproportionate weight-bearing) is impairing the healing of the soft tissue injury. Now, since you've had an x-ray to exclude any bone injuries and since it's over 2 months, it should be okay to bear weight on the injured foot. The stiffness which you have mentioned could, in fact, be due to lack of proper movement on that leg. So, I suggest that you start weight-bearing equally and do simple stretch exercises for the foot also.

If you haven't checked your blood sugars recently, then I would advise you to have it checked, since uncontrolled sugars could also delay healing. Certain medication like Serratiopeptidase can be useful in reducing the hematoma and inflamation. You can also use hot fermentation on that area to reduce the inflamation and for pain relief. Please do not massage the area. If you develop redness or swelling or any oozing form the area, then they are warning signs of infection, in which case you need to seek urgent medical attention.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling pain and noticed bruise on foot after accident. Any idea what this could be? 6 hours later
Thank you for your answer, Really sorry i meant to say that I did not have an X-ray on the XXXXXXX area of my leg ( only my foot) as there were no signs of breakages I could and still can walk with no pain, would you suggest an X-ray on this? Or do you still believe it to be soft tissue related? If I had a minor fracture for example what would the symptoms be? Many thanks!
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 20 hours later
Hello again and thanks for writing in.

It is very unlikely that you've had a fracture in your other leg (shin area) because you would have had prominent symptoms - such as swelling, severe pain and inability to bear weight properly. On the other hand, you have been able to use the this leg more than usual due to the foot injury on the other leg. If at all there is a small posibility of a minor fracture, it could just be a hairline fracture which should have healed by now and needs no further management. So, I still think that your problem is just soft tissue related and I don't think you need an X-ray on this leg.

Best wishes,
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor