Feeling headache, dizzy and hungry. Blood sugar normal. What is the cause?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have had a vague dizziness for almost three weeks, and feel constantly hungry no matter what i eat. I also have neck tension and headache off and on. I checked my blood sugar and it is in normal range.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 39 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Dizziness due to the ears is usually true spinning vertigo. Ear related vertigo is typically of short duration, usually occurs on change of position and may be related with decreased hearing.

2. Do you have any hyperacidity (constant hunger), acid reflux (stress) or have had a recent cold or sinusitis?

3. I will be able to guide you better about the possible cause if you can provide me more details of your dizziness like:
a. The exact moment when it all started,
b. How often and how long do the episodes last? Are they continuous?
c. Any other associated symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting or sweating?
d. I need to know if your hearing is normal. Does it fluctuate? Does you get any sounds (tinnitus) or fullness in the ear?
e. Is the dizziness true vertigo (spinning of the surrounding) or only unsteadiness.
f. Is the dizziness only when there is change of position (such as lie down or sit up)? Can you walk without support? Does you get dizzy when you turn in bed or look up while climbing stairs?
g. Is your vision clear or blurred? Is there any tendency to blackout? Any photosensitivity?

4. It is also important to consult a neurologist and a spine specialist. It is good to hear that your blood sugar is within normal limits. Get your blood pressure and Hemoglobin checked. You may share any images of your Cervical Spine, Sinus X-rays and Audiograms (ear tests) here.

5. There are many tests such as VNG (VideoNystagmoGraphy), testing for nystagmus (abnormal eye movements during an attack of vertigo) and many features such as direction of and fatiguablity of nystagmus. These can only be observed in a patient.

6. If it is only unsteadiness, it is most likely to be stress and gastritis induced. Get an anti acidity and reflux medication with antacids prescribed by your physician

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.