Suggest treatment for nystagmus with nausea and vomiting

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have experienced nystagmus twice recently. Both times upon lying down and it persisted til after arising in the morning. First time with vomiting today with a little nausea. What could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

Most likely you are experiencing acquired nystagmus.
Acquired nystagmus,usually occurs late in old age, can be the symptom of another condition or disease, such as stroke, multiple sclerosis,Vestibular disorder or trauma.
As in your case Nystagmus is associated with nausea and vomiting it can be due to peripheral or central vestibular lesion.In clinical practice,central lesion often includes lesions of cranial nerve VIII.
Few initial tests advice are-
Electronystagmography (ENG) or videonystagmography (VNG)-detect abnormal eye movement. ENG (which uses electrodes) or VNG (which uses small cameras) can help determine if dizziness is due to inner ear disease by measuring involuntary eye movements while your head is placed in different positions or your balance organs are stimulated with water or air.
Magnetic resonance imaging-To see if there is any central or nerve lesion.
Vestibular Labyrinthitis-As there is history of sinusitis,some times sinusitis can lead to inflammation of eustachian tube causing Nystagmus.

Detailed investigation should be done to rule out the cause and treat it.

Follow up with reports.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy