Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Feeling dull, constant pain on abdomen under rib cage. Should I go for medical check up?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 4361 Questions

My husband has been complaining of dull, constant pain on left side of abdomen under his rib cage. He is also urinating frequently. Since it is the weekend, not sure if we should wait until Monday to see Internist or should we go to ER.
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more things in order to come to a better conclusion of the situation

1. Is your husband a diabetic?
2. Is your husband having nausea?
3. Is he regular with his food habits?
4. Does he smoke or drink?
5. Along with increased urination is he having increased thirst and hunger?
6. Is he having any burning sensation while urinating? Fever?

Please get back to me to me with the answers, I am awaiting your reply

I wish your husband good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling dull, constant pain on abdomen under rib cage. Should I go for medical check up? 1 hour later
Thanks for your prompt reply....

1. No, he is not a diabetic.
2. No nausea
3. Food habits are regular
4. non-smoker; drinks occasionally
5.normal thirst and hunger burning sensation or fever
Just took his temperature...He does have a low fever.....100 currently.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 59 minutes later

Thanks for the detailed reply

It looks like your husband is suffering from acute gastritis which explains the low grade fever and also the mild pain on his left upper abdomen.
I recommend you to give proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole for 5 days and also acetaminophen for the fever. Please ask your doctor for a prescription.

Let him avoid the following until he gets better

1. Drinking tea/coffee
2. Avoid spicy food items.
3. Milk and milk products
4. Let him drink plenty of fluids

I hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help you if you have any further queries

I wish your husband a speedy recovery

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor