Owl Image

Feeling dizzy, shortness of breath and chest pain. X-ray and ultrasound normal. Worrisome

Owl Image
Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Question
Hi, my husband has some events that he had a chest pain on the left side and then runs back to his back and lower neck, also he has some dizzines and shorth of breath. These events became more often lately. 2-3 a day. He has this problems for 2 years and he had x-rays, ultrasound and stress done and all were normal
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 10 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

From your description I strongly suspect presence of panic attack (type of anxiety disorder) in your husband case specially in presence of normal investigations like x-rays, ultrasound and stress test etc.

Other symptoms of Panic attack which may or may not be present in his case: severe attack of anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation, dry mouth (lead to excessive drinking of water) and fear of dying during attack. Each episode develops in few minutes and last for 30-120 minutes. Each episode followed by the fear of developing another attack in future.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities, which can cause or exacerbate frequency & severity of panic attack in following hierarchy:
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use: Stop smoking and alcohol use (if present). Reduce coffee use.
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done

Panic attacks occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. He may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat his anxiety. It is not clear if he received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal