Owl Image

Feeling cold and have low temperature. What is causing this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
I"m having chills and my temperature is below normal at 94 degrees. What might be causing these symptoms? My normal temperature is usually 97.6 degrees. I've also been sneezing and coughing for several weeks. My email address is YYYY@YYYY .
Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX

Chills and temperature below 94 degrees ( hypothermia) simply signify a fever. Fever does not necessarily require that your body temperatures rising above normal but also falling. This might be due to a systemic infection usually sepsis.

If you have been sneezing and coughing for several weeks then it is most likely that your septic shock.
You will need to see your doctor as soon as possible for a chest examination, chest x-ray, blood tests/culture and the immediate beginning of broad spectrum antibiotics. Antihistamine might be required to suppress the sneezing.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Dr Nsah