Experiencing off balance while sitting. What does an ENG and VNG reveal?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi dr Bhatti... Can you tell me what an ENG and a VNG reveals... I still feel the off balance..it's 2 weeks now that I had that severe vertigo episodes...now when I sit I get the off balance feeling more than when I am standing..is that still bppv? Can it be something bad? My hearing test was XXXXXXX .now going for eng test on Wednesday.. I have no more spinning... But when I sit I feel like I am moving. Help!!!
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 days later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. An ENG / VNG helps evaluate the type of vertigo, abnormal eye movements, helps to differentiate peripheral (vestibular) from central vertigo, check for positional vertigo and the side involved. It can also be used to guide treatment. You should discontinue labyrinthine sedatives and medication before these tests. 2. The off balance feeling is common during the recovery period. The severe spinning has stopped, which is a positive sign. Hence there is no cause for worry. I hope that I have answered your query. if you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 30 minutes later
How long is recovery!! I did the eng test today but did not give me any results
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later
Brief Answer: As below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. A normal ENG means that it did not detect any significant nystagmus 9abnormal eye movements), which is good news. 2. Was a Caloric test done? Was it normal? I hope that you were not on any medication while the ENG was performed. 3. ENG is not the only test for dizziness. There are other tests, but that can wait. 4. Recovery time is usually 6-8 weeks. Mild imbalance off and on is common for weeks and months later. I hope that I have answered your query. if you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 50 minutes later
I was not on any meds When I did the eng... They didn't tell me if it was normal... I have to wait for the balance test..then they will let me know. She repeated the test on my left ear..I hope there is nothing wrong.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 45 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. If your medication was discontinued, then the ENG should be accurate. 2. Upload your ENG Report here. I hope that I have answered your query. if you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.