Experiencing bloated abdomen, tightness in chest andshortness of breath. Pulmonary fibrosis?

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have posted about this before, but am getting increasingly anxious. I am 29Y old female, non-smoker. For the last 4 weeks I have been experiencing a tightness in my chest which I can't say is shortness of breath exactly. I feel congested in my chest, and need to cough, but nothing comes up. I am bloated in my abdomen and have pain below my breastbone almost constantly. I am uncomfortable. I am terrified of having pulmonary fibrosis. I had a normal chest xray and oximetry was 98% on Dec 5. I am scared and just want to be told it will be okay. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having chest discomfort since 4 weeks along with bloated abdomen.

2. Normal chest xray and oxygen saturation are a good news.

3. Sometimes chest discomfort and bloated abdomen are seen in reflux disease (GERD). and you can start tb. pantoprazole 40 mg daily once a day under supervision of your doctor. Also coughing sensation is associated with GERD induced cough.

4. You seem to be quiet anxious. Please do not get anxious and do visit a psychiatrist at regular intervals.

5. Your clinical profile does not match that of pulmonary fibrosis especially in absence of breathlessness.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist
Follow up: Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 minutes later
sometimes my chest gets tight and it feels hard to breathe. I don't know if this qualifies as breathlessness or not.
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 38 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up query.
Some times this sort of sensation along with bloated abdomen is associated with GERD or gas in abdomen. Considering your normal reports, there is no need to worry.
Also please get a baseline ECG and stress test done to rule out any cardiac cause.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist