Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Elevated blood pressure in doctor's office, normal readings at home, taking beta blockers. Advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5141 Questions
I need a 3 blood pressure readings over a 3-day period for work, but when I go to the doctor, I get so nervous my BP is very high. When I take the readings at home with my own monitor, my BP is within normal ranges. I do take BP medicine (Beta Blocker). What can I do?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Since when are you on medication for BP control

How was your BP before taking the medication

You seem to be having the condition called 'White Coat Hypertension' where the BP is persistently raised in presence of a healthcare provider. Usually the cut off day-time ambulatory BP is 135/85mmHg. If your blood pressure is less than this value in the morning time then not to worry.

I can understand your problem. But if your BP at Home is normal, then it appears to be in control.

You can try one technique. You can go to the Doctor's with one of your caregivers, and do rest for 15 minutes in a room. Avoid smoking, coffee, stimulants at all costs atleast half an hour before going to the Doctor's. After 15 minutes of rest in sitting position one of your caregivers or family or friends can check your blood pressure without the Doctor in the room. After the recording is over the Doctor can see you.

If your Doctor allows your home BP measurement as standard then you can get the BP checked at Home itself.

Usually there is no specific treatment for White Coat hypertension other than healthy diet, daily exercise. This should do much help in keeping blood pressure in control.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor