Ear bud stuck in the ear canal. How to remove it?

Dr. Andrew Rynne MD

Posted on Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was cleaning my ear out with a q-tip and now the cotton is in my eardrum how can i get it out without going to my dorctor please help
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

The cotton from the q-tip is lodged in your ear canal and while this may be very annoying, it does not represent any immediate threat to you or to your ear.

If you can get someone there to take a look into your ear canal, under strong light and while pulling back gently on your ear lobe to straighten out the canal, they should be able to spot the offending cotton XXXXXXX inside.

Using a snub nosed forceps, not a sharp pointy one, they may then be able to get a hold on this foreign body and lift it out.

A doctor of course would simply syringe out the ear and that would get it out in seconds. You might save yourself a lot of grief by going this route. Anyway, it is unlikely to come out of its own volition and you will not be able to extract it with someone else's help.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D