Drug induced sleep record shows bifrontal sharo and spike wave discharges. What is the meaning?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Growth and Development in Children
Question: hi sir,
my one and half yr old sons e e g report says ,,,,"drug induced sleep record shows bifrontal sharo and spike wave discharges. to be corelated clincally, and generalised s/o interictal epileptiform discharges.

please advise!.... he gets bit irritable at nights,,, but sleeps well during day time... he is not able to sleep properly at night.
,,,
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

I will appreciate if you can provide me with the following details for me to give an opinion:
1. Gestational age at birth.
2. Weight at birth.
3. Any resuscitative measures used at birth.
4. Any problem to mother during pregnancy.
5. Any medical issues after birth till date.
6. Why was an EEG ordered?
7. Any other investigations?
8. Any medication that the child is having?

You will appreciate that treating a patient just on investigations is not the right approach. A detailed history and clinical examination is required to interpret the investigative findings.

Every child has his own sleeping patters and my observation has been that infants sleep well during the day and wake up a number of times during the night. It takes them months to follow a normal diurnal rhythm like the adults.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to add to the facts.

Wishing your son all the best.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 30 minutes later
dear sir,

following are the answers for your queries
gestational age at birth- 40 weeks
weight at birth- 2.8 kgs
normal pregnancy
no medical problems in mother
no medications
no problems during delivery
e e g was advised when we explained about his night irritability.
the pediatrician while doing a general check up advised us for MRI and ct scan after consulting a neurosurgeon. this was because she observed that his head circumference was a bit less when compared to the growth chart.his activities are normal crying, smiling, recognizing people. milestones are bit delayed. he is just trying to stand up now. m r i and ct showed normal variation according to our neurosurgeon., and only neural dynamic therapy is advised now. head circumference is around 42 now.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 17 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

In view of the delayed milestones and head circumference being less we can expect changes in the EEG. Fortunately your son is not having any abnormal movements.

Your pediatrician shall do a complete work up and follow-up the child for further management. He may get a biochemical and genetic work up done to come to a conclusion.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 15 minutes later
thanks a lot sir we will proceed as you have advised

XXXXXXX
Hi XXXXXXX,

It is a pleasure to be able to guide you.

RKK