Dr. XXXXXXX ...The results of my saliva test are completed

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Mental Health
Question: Dr. XXXXXXX ...The results of my saliva test are completed but I haven't seen them yet. You know my history. I have been suffering from sleepiness and drowsiness on most days and it's aggravating. Can that be because I'm not yet on an antidepressant? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can represent untreated depression

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

I am glad to know that saliva test is completed on you and I hope the results will be available in less than a week time. I also hope that this will you give you better choice in regard to antidepressants.

Now regarding sleepiness and drowsiness, I should make it clear that both symptoms can be the manifestation of depression. Regarding increasing intensity of these symptoms over the past few months/weeks, the discontinuation of medication can be the cause. It is possible that medication was partly helpful for you and complete discontinuation of those medications aggravated sleepiness and drowsiness.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 6 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX ...how can depression cause sleepiness and drowsiness? Is it the imbalance of neurotransmitters? Is it the chemical imbalance? How does an antidepressant help that? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is imbalance of neurotransmitters

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Depression as a disorder can present with variety of symptoms and it is rightly possible that two individuals with diagnosis of depression may not have any common symptoms.

You might be aware that increased sleep and decreased sleep are both symptoms of depression and anybody can have one of them. Regarding drowsiness, as such it is not common symptoms of depression but lack of energy coupled with sleepiness can present with drowsiness.

Since the symptoms of depression result from imbalance of different neurotransmitters, antidepressant help us to restore the balance by increasing the level of certain neurotransmitters in brain.

I hope this answers you further.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 17 hours later
Do different antidepressants affect different neurotransmitters? I still don't feel quite right in the head possibly because of the imbalance, right? Does that signify a possible need for medication? Will the saliva test results signify which are most effective? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

It is true that no two antidepressants are similar and affect different receptors at the different level. There are classes of antidepressants according to mechanism of action namely SSRI, SNRI, TCA, MAOI, NARI. For example SSRI increase the serotonin level and SNRI increase serotonin and norepinephrine levels.

According to current piece of knowledge about depression, depression results from imbalance in the level of different neurotransmitters and it is quite possible that same is applicable for you. Since we do not have any other effective method to current imbalance, medications are the needed to treat depression. I mean to say that yes medication are needed to treat your depression.

As communicated earlier saliva tests helps in whether the particular antidepressant will be effective or not. Among the effective options a grading can be made to choose most likely effective medication for individual.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad