Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Done spinal tap, dizziness, feeling faint. Negative for syphilis

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
I got a spinal tap and the results show 96% lymphocytes and 4% monocytes. I have been very dizzy and feeling like fainting. I am HIV+
Spinal tap was for syphilis (negative) but coincidentally I got really sick around the same time
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Kindly post full report of spinal tap.
Have you undergone spinal fluid ADA and TB PCR?
With decreased immunity in HIV, patient is predisposed to opportunistic infection such as viral, fungal and bacterial infection.
Your spinal tap report suggest Tubercular etiology as the predominant lymphocytes (96%).
You should consult with physician and should go for Spinal fluid ADA, TB PCR and Gold TB quantiferon test for confirmation.
You should also go for chest x XXXXXXX and sputum examination.
You should also go for CT/ MRI scan brain.
Put your views also.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor