question-icon

Does the overdose of decongestants cause thickening of mucus?

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015
Question: can taking too many decongestants if you don't need it cause your mucus to thicken, and cause a post nasal drip? how do i get rid of this now? i think i took too much and dried myself out so much that it had a reverse effect and now i have a post nasal drip. today is the first day i didn't take anything and it feels somewhat better but is still there. do i just wait it out?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Not very likely to be caused by drugs. Wait it out.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this postnasal drip. Taking many decongestants cannot be responsible for this. The most common cause of this postnasal drip is a sinus infection. I will recommend that you stop the drugs at this time because taking them for longer periods is not always advisable. Because you have started to report relief, I will advice you continue with the same measures and we would only try something different if you fail to report further improvement.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah