Does stabbing pain in the lower left side need medical attention?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I am having some intense, stabbing pain in my lower left side (in the region where my left ovary used to be - it was removed 3 years ago - more on that below). I am also having similar, but less intense pain on the right side intermittently. I am also having painful urination and bowel movements, nausea and dizziness. These issues have been going on for several weeks, on and off. The last 2 days, I am in immense pain and get random stabbing pains that cause me to double over and shout out. If I am sitting in one spot, the pain will lessen to a dull throbbing, but walking or using the bathroom makes the pain intensify. The pain also intensifies after eating. It's like I can feel a large "baseball" in that area when I am sitting or standing. I also feel sort of bloated, like I would with PMS and sort of like things in both the left and right "ovary area" are "stretching" when I walk.
Three years ago, I was in the exact same pain situation. It was discovered that I had some grapefruit sized cysts on both ovaries and a ton of scar tissue that had caused my uterus and left ovary to be adhered to my bowel. I had surgery to remove the cysts, scar tissue and my left ovary. Now, 3 years later, I have all the same issues, but presumably, there's nothing left in that area that could be causing this immense pain.
I don't have insurance and I have been to the ER in the past with these issues and they told me I was probably just having a bad period (I wasn't even bleeding) and sent me home. When the ER discovers that I'm uninsured, they will not treat me or even look at me. They won't run tests. They just send me home. I am in so much pain that I am considering going to the ER, but I am fearful that all I'll get is a $500 XXXXXXX and sent home again. I live in an extremely rural area and GYN appointments take months to get. There are only 3 GYNs within 50 miles of me.
I guess my questions are 1) do you think going to the ER is worth it for my symptoms/issues, 2) what can I say or tell them that may prompt them to actually help me?
Thanks so much for your time.
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Yes the symptoms are bad enough for you to go to the ER., if oral pain killers are not working.
What is your age?
And you still have your uterus and right ovary.
Tell them about your history, the intense pain, need for pain relief and imaging at least to know what's going on.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D