Does removal of umbilical mesh via hernia surgery cause any risks?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Lump
Question: My husband is scheduled for hernia surgery to remove a umbilical mesh that is wearing through his navel. They are going to remove the mesh (I believe it is infected and you can feel it pushing through his navel. I'm very concerned about how effective is removal and just stitching the abdominal muscles will be, complications that can occur from infection and how successful this surgery is.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually it is effective.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Umbilical hernia is usually repaired without a mesh. What can happen when someone tries to fix it using a mesh, your husband knows the best. It irritates tissues causing chronic inflammation (not infection) and ends with mesh removal.
Stitching umbilical hernia is usually effective if a patient is not obese. When stitching, the tissues should be doubled (creating two layers). After such surgery, lifting, coughing or even pushing on stool should be prevented. In such conditions, the risk of recurrence is around 5%

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
What if he is somewhat obese ? Overall, my husband is normal size except for the gut area that is considerably larger than his hips
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Obesity is a risk factor of hernia recurrence.

Detailed Answer:
Well, than there is higher risk that this surgery will fail and the hernia will recur. Much more reasonable is to lose weight first, and after that have it repaired (but in his case, the mesh must be removed).
So in conclusion, he should wear a hernia belt after the surgery and hopefully the stitches will hold, however the chance is 50%.