Does opiates cause constipation?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Thanks for your answer on Feb. 17, 2017 to my opiod question. Your answer was helpful but it did not answer my question. I'm asking again with hope so
meone has the answer I'm needing.
Respectfully,
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no way this can be established!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully and do understand that your major concern is about opiates being the possible cause of your bowel obstruction and perforation. While opiates cause constipation, they are not know to cause bowel obstruction. Besides, there is no single test or evaluation that can point to the fact that opiates were responsible for this. Though we may rightfully say constipation is related to opiates, obstruction is less likely directly linked to that.

I hope this helps to clear the worries about the possibility of establishing this causal relationship between the obstruction and perforation and opiates use. I wish you well and feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng