Does nerve damage from diabetes cause crawling sensation all over the body?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 7 Sep 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I feel like I have bugs crawling over me, in my hair, beard, private area, between my fingers and toes, in my eye lashes, mouth pretty well all over.
I have tried all bug washes prescribed my the Dr. It helps alittle but not for long. Mow, the DR is thinking it's some kind of nerve damage from my diabets or maybe a reaction to the metformen.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Formication, or tactile hallucinations due to diabetic neuropathy.

Detailed Answer:

Formication or tactile hallucinations is the medical term to describe your symptoms.I think your Doctor is right, peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes is a possible cause of such issues.

Correct treatment of diabetes and the use of drugs to control peripheral neuropathy symptoms (Gabapentin, Pregabalin, etc.) is necessary to improve your condition.Discuss with your doctor about these issues.

Take care!

Dr. Erion Spaho,
Neurologist, Surgical
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T