• question-icon

Does intake of Atenolol help in treating blood pressure?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: sir i have blood pressure for few years in the range of 140/90.As it is in increasing trend our physician suggested to use ATENOLOL 50 MG.I have been using for the last 15 days. But i am feeling breathlessness some times & constipation& uneasy. I am in suspicion that whether it is correct medicin?or i can go any better medicine? please suggest.I observe that whenever i bend forward/kneel down for few seconds & stand up i feel giddiness even before using the medicine
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Another drug, but within the beta-blocker family

Detailed Answer:
Greetings and welcome to HCM. I understand your concern. Thank you for your question.

I personally think that it is a safe and very good choice to treat high blood pressure with a beta-blocker. Not only it lowers the blood pressure, but also decreases heart workload. There are side effects that may happen while using every drug. There is no connection whether you took your medicine or not, for symptoms to happen, because atenolol has a plateau effect and its effect is present constantly. I agree to discontinue atenolol, but I would recommend you to stay within the beta-blocker family. Other effective and safe alternatives are metoprolol and propranolol, which I think you should discuss with your physician.

I hope my answer is helpful. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up question(s).

Best regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist