Does hypertension cause erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: Hi ,My name is XXXX Iam 65,Non smoker. 14 stone = 94 kg. married 20 yrs, Walk my Labradores 3 to 5 days each week , been through shit for 4 to 5 yrs with our kids re drugs and drinking Have been on blood preasure tabs now for 5yrs. dont do any medications for recreation ever,only my Doctor Medications. Have been buying cialis ED meds 20mg only take half a tablet each day a full 20mg often gives me upset XXXXXXX A 100mg viagra gives me hot flushes and i feel like i get a wind burn in the face, I love my lady very much but my sex drive is gone I could go many months and not need sex, thats just not me .Iam not liking whats happening to me ,I have desire for her but the fear of not able to have or hold an errection just tears me apart. To see the saddness in my wifes face is just shattering and the fear of failure is as bad as this bloody condition. My blood preasure etc is fine whileiam on my prescribed meds "Karaside and amalodopine. would you have any ideas please.iam stuffed other wise. Kinde regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for testosterone level assessment, reduce weight

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

Most of the persons with hypertension suffer from erectile dysfunction after age of 60. Due to blood pressure penile vessels become stiff and do not expand well. There is also need to check testosterone level also. Deficiency of the same is also responsible for low libido and erectile dysfunction. Prostate problem should also be rule out.

- Go for morning serum testosterone (total and free) level.

- If you have any urinary symptom (more frequency, dribbling, hesitancy, urgency) go for PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen level)

- Is morning erection present?

Treatment for ED:

- Continue medicines for blood pressure.

5- PDE inhibitor group of medicines like sildenafil or tadalafil are used for ED. You have already tried them. One of them should be used 2 hours prior to sex. They cause headache, stuffy nose nausea and gastric discomfort like common side effects. Proper physical check-up of cardiac system should be done by a doctor before starting the same. These are prescription medicines and you need to consult doctor/psychiatrist/sexologist for the prescription.

You can use medicine cum vitamin supplement containing pyridoxal-5-phosphate, mecobalamin and l-methylfolate (trade name tetrafol plus)is very helpful in my patients. It has shown improvement in 50-60% patients of mine with ED having hypertension. You may get this medicine over the counter as it is vitamin product. Take it for at least 20 days twice a day after meal and if you feel some improvement continue for 2 months.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.