Does giving Otogesic help with ear pain during flight travel?

Dr. Prashant Mahajan

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: i am travelling by flight with my baby 2.5 months 6 kgs. can i give him otogesic 2 drops before takeoff and before landing so that he has no pain in his ears? is it safe?
Answered by Dr. Prashant Mahajan 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
won't help

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the healthcaremagic

Ear pain while air travel is because of unequal pressure on ear drum. Otogesic ear drops contain anti inflammatory medicines to decrease swelling. So it won't decrease this pain. What you need to do is feed her or keep artificial nipple in baby's mouth while take off and landing. It will help in equalizing pressure on ear drum and therefore won't cause ear pain.

Happy to help you
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj