Does excessive coffee intake cause burning in eyes?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 21 May 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I drink a lot of watered down coffee per day.Does this affect my burning eyes.I also have sleep aepna.My eyes burn very often and water at the same time.Is my lots of coffee doing this to my eyes?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Intake of coffee is not related to your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,
Welcome to Health Care Magic
Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you want to know the effect of watered down coffee on burning sensation in the eyes.
Drinking excess of coffee has got some side effects like lack of sleep, gastritis, heart burn, headache, increased hear rate, anxiety...
However it does not see to have any direct effect on the eyes except for increase intraocular pressure thus worsening pre existing glaucoma.
Infact caffeine is known to increase the tear secretion and thus can improve dry eyes.

Since you have mentioned about the the excess use of computers and this may cause dryness of eyes resulting in watering and burning sensation of the eyes.
The treatment of this condition is by use of artificial tears eye drops.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj