Does excessive cardamom intake cause infetility in women?

Psychiatrist
Question
I am addicted to cardamom... I eat 20-25 cardamoms in a day.Does it leads to impotency? Is there any side effects on conceiving baby?
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Sexual Health

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are distressed about your habit of taking too much of cardamom.I would like to know some more details about your problem so that I can advise you better.

How long have you had this habit?

What sort of pleasurable experience do you get when you take the Cardamom?

Have you tried stopping or cutting down this habit? What makes it difficult for you to stop?

Are your menstrual periods regular?

Are you able to carry out your daily routines despite this habit?

Pleasr get back to me with these details and I shall advice you accordingly.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)

Follow-up: Does excessive cardamom intake cause infetility in women? 11 minutes later
It's been 6 months I have this addiction.I love the strong taste n fragrance of cardamom. Yes I tried cutting down this habit however after 2-3 days again I started taking it. My menstrual cycle is normal. I grt periods on time and I don't have any problem in carrying out my daily routine.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can lead to many adverse health effects...

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for the clarifications.

From the details you have provided, it is clear that you are habituated to Cardamom and are taking it in excessive quantities. When taken in such large quantities and excessively this can definitely lead to adverse effects on health.

Some of the adverse effects of taking too much Cardamom are skin problems like dermatitis, gall stones, mouth ulcers, teeth erosion and sensitivity, low BP, liver problems, etc. It is unsafe to take it in large quantities during pregnancy as it can affect the mother and growing baby. Though there are no confirmed reports about excessive Cardamom causing impotency or problems in conceiving, still it is always better to avoid taking it excessively.

So, I would advise you to gradually cut down and stop this habit soon. If you are finding it difficult to do this, then you can seek professional help / counselling from a Psychiatrist in your place.