Does drinking non boiled milk cause rabies?

Question
Hello doctor i drank XXXXXXX milk from an shop and when i asked he said the milk was not boiled and now i am confused whether to take a rabies vaccine or not.I had taken 5 doses of rabies vaccine just 8-9 months back(bo immunoglobulin).Transmission of rabies from cows milk is only a theorotical possiblity?I heard no cases were reported this way in cdc website.Anyways even if it is a unpasteurized milk do i need to take vaccines?I dont know anything about the cow suddenly this thought came up in mind.Ur thoughts would be helpful!
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Non exposed exposure.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query.

It is true that transmission of rabies from cow's milk is only theoretical possible. No incident has been reported till now, but transmission from cow to calf through milk has been reported.
As the status of cow is unknown and milk was not boiled or pasteurized, rabies virus can be present in milk ( Considering cow is rabid). In this case scenario, if you have any break in mucosa of mouth or GIT like ulcers, it can be transmitted to you. Remember, what i am telling you is a rarest case.

Now as you have been immunized 8-9 months back, there is no need for taking complete dose of vaccine again. You can take two shots of it on Day 0 and Day 3 only as recommended by WHO. But no immunoglobulin.

Hope i have answered your query. If you don't have any query you can close discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a good health.
Dr. G. Katiyar

Follow-up: Does drinking non boiled milk cause rabies? 33 minutes later
So I need to take vaccine? One doctor here said no need to take vaccines since I have had vaccines recntly, and if I had not asked the question of whether the milk was boiled it would have just been an simple XXXXXXX milk drinking incident, so seriously do you think I should go for vaccines?

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Non Bite exposure

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up.
What i have mentioned is worst case scenario (rare of the rarest) with you. I considered cow as rabid and you have break in mucosa in your Gastro intestinal tract. In this case there can be chances of infection and to be on safe side you need two shot of vaccine on Day 0 and day 3 (without immunoglobulin) as post exposure prophylaxis as you are previously immunized.

If the milk was boiled or pasteurized there was no need of vaccine.

Wish you a good health.
Dr. G. Katiyar

Follow-up: Does drinking non boiled milk cause rabies? 49 minutes later
Ok but the immunity given by the vaccine gives immunity for atkeast one year rite?a doctor here said the antybody titre level on my body will protect me from rabies

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is for immunoglobulin

Detailed Answer:

Thanks again for the follow up.

What you have been told is correct but that is for rabies immunoglobulin. Not for the rabies vaccine. This is why i already mentioned that vaccine WITHOUT immunoglobulin should be taken.

Hope you understand me.

Hope i answered your query. You can close discussion and rate the answer.

Dr. Gaurav Katiyar