Does cylindrical eye power reduce with age?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Is cylindrical power reduce with age as it depends on the growth of facial bones ?
my son is 6 years n he has both the cylindrical and spherical powers
cylindrical power in both eyes -1.25
spherical power in botheyes -0.75
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cyclindrical power remains stable, but spherical increases with age

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir.

I can understand your concern.

Cylindrical powers are generated generally by the shape of the cornea (transparent front layer of the eye).

These powers tend to be stable and non-progressive in most people. The condition is curable by using glasses to see better.

Cylindrical powers are those ones that are present only in a particular axis. The powers are noted by convention to be positive or negative.

Negative power indicates short sightedness.

As far as his inability to view the hands of the clock concerned, you need to recheck his visual acuity and precise adjustment of glasses has to be made.

Post your further queries if any,
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad