• question-icon

Does cause Barbicide Plus cause rhinitis?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi a week ago, I accidentally inhaled some barbicide plus while working in my salon and began having an awful scent reaction, that was quite scary, in my left nostril every few minutes. I felt anxious for about an hour. After drinking lots of water and going for a walk outside it reaction subsided by morning. Now 8 days later, that same reaction in my nostril woke me up out of my sleep. It's not as severe, but it's more frequent. Is this something I need to have checked out? xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some more details on the reaction are needed

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I carefully went through your question and would like to ask few questions for further clarification.

What do you mean with scent reaction? Do you mean scent sensation in the nose or other reactions with nose blockage, secretions, the red swollen skin around or other?

Please note that barbicides might cause rhinitis due to the inflammation they cause in the nasal mucosa. They may also cause some irritation of the upper airways when we inhale them. If we are long exposed to them it might also affect the lower airways by causing lung symptoms also.

All these being said (the side effects), using them in a safe manner is very important.

Please let me know more in detail of your complaint and what kind or reaction you get so I can be more helpful and give a more specific answer.

Awaiting...

Kind regards

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
It is strange, I'll admit. When I poured it out in the sink the fumes came back up therefore I inhaled them. Immediately, I had this really bad scent in my left nostril that even burned so that I had to stop until the sensation subsided. It would last about 5 seconds but the sensation would start again about every minute. My nose did run the rest of the night but nothing seemed to be swollen. Now 8 days later the sensation woke me up out of my sleep. It's not as strong as before, but more frequent .
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would expect it to be much better in a couple of weeks

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the reply and the further information provided.

Barbericides can irritate nasal musoca and cause some local swelling and discomfort in the form of rhinitis which should heal with time.

The scent sensation you are having is uncommon to happen especially after a week of inhaling it. It is very unlikely for the chemical to be stored in the mucosa and reproduce the symptoms.
On the other hands it is still a short time from the inhalation and I would give another 1-2 weeks to see how the symptoms will progress. I would expect those scent sensations to fade with time. If not than it is important to have a visit and check your nostrils and also.

So to conclude i would say:

1. i do not find medically any reason to worry about those scent sensation at the moment
2. I would expect you to be much better in a couple of weeks from the "local irritation" of the nasal mucosa
3. Continue to drink well and keep yourself hydrated
4. avoid use of the chemical or if needed to be used avoid inhalation of it (face masc)
5. if symptoms go on for longer than another couple of weeks I would recommend a visit with your doctor.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to ask if more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 6 hours later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It's a pleasure

Detailed Answer:

It is a pleasure to be able to help with your query. Please feel free to write us for any questions or concerns.

Kind regards

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj