Does caffeine cause fluctuating heart rate?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my heart rate is going up and down from 76 to 82, about 10 mins. ago it went up to 125 . I could feel it fluttering. It made me cough. I cannot drink any caffiene, but I did have chocolate tonight.
It has been doing this for about 45 mins. now. At 85 right now., now 88. I have fingertip monitor.
Should I be concerned , . it is now 90.

20 minutes later, I have not received any answer. Heart rate is still fluctuating.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

What are you experiencing are related to caffeine and caffeine like substance (chocolate) effect. This effect is manifested with fluctuate heart rate, slightly tachycardia, stomach discomfort and agitation.

From what you are reporting you shouldn't worry about your heart rate. My suggestions are to stay calm and relaxed and to avoid using caffeine and chocolate in the future to avoid such a symptoms.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 13 minutes later
thank you Dr. Shehu. It was scary. Sometimes when I walk up hills I get lightheaded and slightly dizzy. Sometimes I wonder if something is wrong.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

In order to exclude any other problems if you were my patients I would schedule you for the following exams:
- Blood work (including hormones)
- ECG
- Cardiac echo
- ECG monitoring
- Audiogram and ENT visit to exclude inner ear problems which may be the cause of dizziness.

This exams will help to reassure you that everything it's OK.

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 7 minutes later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are mostly welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
You are mostly welcome!
If you are satisfied with my answer, please close the query and rate it to maximum.
Dr. Shehu