Owl Image

Does a cell phone affect EKG result?

Owl Image
Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Question
I just had a ekg and it came back irregular and my primary care doctor referred me to a cardiologist. What happended was I was getting a physical and my blood work came back great and so did my organ panel and testaterone level. I stated that I have been tired lately and she decieded to give me an ekg, that came back irreguler. My heart beats approx 55 beats per minute (has for years). I am 47 years old and have worked out my entire life, I am of average height and weight. I was shocked when she told me this information. I forgot to tell her that I had a cell phone in my pocket during the ekg. I think the cell phone could have affected the ekg results. The cardiologist and said that a cell phone could not interfere with the ekg results. the cardiologist has since shcedulued more tests in the coming weeks. The cariologist stated that according to the ekg, the electrical current is not working properly (bradycardia), but he said this is also common in atheletes (wearing out of the insulation that carries the electrical current). I feel great and excercise regulary. I have an IPHONE 5C can this affect my ekg? The ekg machine looked old? Help??
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A cell phone would not do that!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this abnormal EKG finding and all the inconveniences that this has caused you. A phone would not cause an abnormal and consistent EKG reading across all the leads. This is more suggestive of inherent cardiac origin than an external interference.

With you being a great athlete, a heart rate of 55 would not be concerning and more so because it causes no symptoms to you. I am however in support of the fact that he is doing other tests to investigate ore into this finding. It is better to get these done and at the end of the day say there is no problem with the heart than assuming is without investigations that may not be exactly true.

In all, this would most likely be a normal variant and greatly influenced by the athletic state. However, proper investigating before concluding is mandatory.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using ours services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.