Does a BP reading of 98/58 need medical attention?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Wifes BO is 98/58 with pulse rate of 63. She is tired and not feeling well. Should i take her to emergency?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is recommended to take her to emergency for evaluation and treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Low blood pressure is defined as a blood pressure of 90 mm Hg or less (systolic) or 60 mm Hg or less (diastolic) and therefore if your wife is having 98/ 58 mm Hg blood presssure then it is slightly below normal. Her pulse is normal.

2. She also feel too tired and has sore throat. It is likely that she is unable to swallow liquids and has not been drinking adequate fluids and this might predispose her to dehydration and electrolyte imbalance causing her tiredness.

3. In conclusion, based on the information given by you, your wife might be having borderline low blood pressure and suspected dehydration (if she is unable to drink adequate amounts of fluids) due to sore throat. The sore throat also requires to be examined and a treatment to be started. Therefore, taking her to the emergency is recommended for above listed possibilities.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.