Does Testosterone interact with Eliquis?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I just got diagnosed with a DVT blood clot on my arm from an injury. I was admitted to the hospital and they kept me over night and gave me an injection of 120 mg Lovenox that night then again the next morning then released me. They also prescribed me Eliquis that I am taking twice daily. I was referred out to a Hematologist for this Thursday. Here is my question, I am currently on Testosterone therapy of a 100 mg. Enathate for my low T, I completely forgot to tell my ER dr, simply because I was freaked out about the blood clot. My question is do I need to discontinue my testosterone while I'm on Eliquis, my next injection is Tuesday and I don't see the Hematologist until Thursday. I looked at drug interactions and saw that warfarin reacts badly with testosterone. I want to know if Eliquis does as well.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
no known interactions

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are no known interactions between eliquis and testosterone.

Initially it was thought that there was an associated risk between testosterone and clot formation but this has since been shown not to be true meaning that it is not associated with causing clots unless there is a previous history of risk eg in persons with polycythemia

Polycythemia- persons with increased number of red blood cells making the blood thicker

The lack of interaction means that it should be safe to use but you should discuss with your doctor.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions