Does Pepto Bismol medication reduce discomfort caused by IBS problem?

Dr. Karen Steinberg

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was prescribed Paromomycin as well as some other meds (have not started the other meds yet) due to my being diagnosed with whip worms and an amoeba - I didn't follow the directions for the use of the Paromomycin meds(stupidly) and have been taking the meds without food. I also have a significant IBS problem. I developed stomach pain after three days on the meds. Other than increasing my use of probiotics - is there anything else I can do or take to reduce the discomfort. Would Pepto Bismol be an option or gelasil?
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pepto Bismol is an option

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. You do not say if the stomach pain is like your IBS pain or more like a heartburn or acid stomach. PeptoBismol and Gelusil are both good options for acid stomach-type pains. PeptoBismol also has some anti-diarrheal effects if that is occurring, and may have some mild antibacterial effects as well. If it's more your IBS pain, there are some antispasmodics that help. These are prescription drugs so you need to ask your doctor. In the meantime, I suggest continuing with the PeptoBismol. Be sure you are following the directions carefully for these medicines, and try to eat something. PeptoBismol can cause dark stools, so do not be alarmed if this happens. Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D