Can Zoloft cause burning, earache and watery eyes?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Mon, 6 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Husband had a Zoloft get stuck in his throats and it disolves some, 5 minutes later has severe burning even making his eyes water and ears hurt
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A temporary problem. Needs patient approach & following management.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Health care magic. I understand your concern.
Zoloft getting stuck in throat -- & causing irritation, uncontrollable vomiting sensation plus local reaction due to dissolved drug causes all the trouble & it gets exaggerated by anxiety ... seems to be the root cause of all the problem, It seems to be a temporary problem... rest assured it will go in few hours time with following management.
- In such a case immediate management consists of gargling with hot/ cold water. Drinking cold water/ milk with sugar & eating smooth & non irritant food like nicely cooked plain rice or bread with milk.
- In case there is pain OTC Ibuprofen syrup ( -3 spoons can be taken.)/ Gelusil chew-able tablets help in relieving burning.
- In long run to prevent recurrence precaution is to be taken to ensure enough of water to be taken while swallowing the pill. Avoid doing other task ( speaking) while taking the pill.
If the problem lasts more than few hours .. consult your family doctor.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana