• question-icon

Does Oxycodone interact with Gabapentin?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been prescribed Garapentin for neuropathy in the bottoms snd tops of my feet
It is mostly ineffectual and walking is sheer torture, so i keep it to a minimum with a walker
My doctor compensates this with oxycodone, and other narcotics.
He had suggested electro mechanical wires attached to my spine, but due to Having my lumbar region rebuilt he felt this wouldn't work? Any suggestions for relieving this chronic pain?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TENS and IV immunoglobulins

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone your question and I understand your concerns . usually the treatment of peripheral neuropathy includes opiates and antiseizure medication, both of which you are already taking.
Another medical treatments includes Topical treatments as Capsaicin cream,can cause modest improvements in peripheral neuropathy symptoms.
Also, Lidocaine patches are another treatment you apply to your skin that might offer pain relief. Side effects can include drowsiness, dizziness and numbness at the site of the patch.

You can also consult your doctor on adding an Antidepressants. Certain tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline, doxepin and nortriptyline have been found to help relieve pain by interfering with chemical processes that cause you to feel pain
if medical treatment fails to improve your symptoms then you might try Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) where Electrodes placed on the skin deliver a gentle electric current at varying frequencies. TENS should be applied for 30 minutes daily for about a month before you can feel an improvement
Another alternative will be Plasma exchange and intravenous immune globulin. These procedures, which help suppress immune system activity, might benefit people with certain inflammatory conditions
I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman