Does Metoprolol interact with Cardura?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was on Metapropol Tartrate. My PCP thereafter prescribed Cardura, 8 mg as an initial dose but never tok me off the Metapropol. After I took my initial dose of Cardura, I passed out at the wheel of my car. Luckily was not injured. Would this be a normal reaction to these two medications taken together?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that both Metoprolol and Cardura lower your blood pressure values.

So, when used concomitantly they can lead to low blood pressure. Low blood pressure may be an explanation of the fainting episode.

So, I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure in sitting and standing up position and refer those values to your doctor.

If your blood pressure are low, of decrease while standing up, you should discuss with your doctor on the possibility of stopping one of these drugs.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 minutes later
The initial dose of Cardura I was prescribed was 8 mg. That seemed awfully high for an initial dose?

Should I be taking less, like maybe 2 mg?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recomend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I agree with you that this is a big initial dose.

You should know that with all anti-hypertensive drugs, it is important starting at a low dose and increasing slowly, in order to avoid possible adverse effects like low blood pressure.

So, I would recommend starting with 2mg and increasing to 4 mg after a week and then up to 8mg after 2 weeks, based on your blood pressure values.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri