question-icon

Does Fluconazole affect male fertility?

Posted on Mon, 7 Jul 2014
Question: Hello, I have vaginal thrush and have just taken a single 150mg dose of Fluconazole to treat it. I am right at the end of my cycle at the moment (cycle day 28 out of a 29-day cycle). My husband and I will be trying to conceive in the next cycle. I am prone to thrush and, although my husband is not showing any obvious thrush symptoms at the moment, I'm considering asking him to take a single Fluconazole dose too in case I have passed the thrush to him, so that we don't re-infect each other. My question is: does Fluconazole have any effect on sperm, or is it safe to take when trying to conceive? I normally ovulate on CD14; if he took a single dose now, would his fertility be affected in the next two weeks? Thanks so much in advance for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
SAFE TO TAKE.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
A single dose of Fluconazole has no effect on male fertility.
No studies have shown that fluconazole adversely affects semen count or motility.
There is no cause for concern in your case.
SO please dont worry.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN